The Hypothetical Ball and Chain Saga

What began as a journal of sorts into the mind of someone planning a wedding from afar - the highs, the lows, the in-betweens - that ended in a wedding uniquely ours, to the continuing saga of married life and still being an amazon.

Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Brian's Story

Originally our agreement was, he wasn't going to do anything for the wedding - NOTHING - it will all be my thing. I didn't argue, the first wedding had him doing tons of things that a groom didn't have to do, but he did and so I felt this was only fair. Besides, he agreed to do the whole thing, why should I insist on anything more?

3 days before the wedding, I was stressed and completely overwhelmed. If I wasn't meeting with a supplier, I was busy finalizing the table arrangements and RSVPs for guests, or last minute song changes, or errands for the wedding, or making the favors. Brian knew how I was at this point and took it upon himself to take up the burden from me.

He thought it would take him at most 3 hours...it took him the whole of 2 1/2 days.

1. The misallette - Once finalized, my friend Bonki dropped it off at our house ready for photocopying. I decided to just have 20 copies done - only for the sponsors, readers, lector, priest. I gave Brian the hard copy and off he went with his best man, Rob. They went to Eastwood and went to the copy place. It was uneven, Brian had them fix it but it turns out the original was uneven. So he called and had me email him a copy. They went to an internet cafe, downloaded it to a disk and went to a print shop to have it printed. The print shop printed it in PINK!!! They ran out of black ink. So Brian, went to an ink shop to buy printer ink - at first they were told to wait because the secretary who knew the supplies wasn't there - when she got there, they were out of stock of that particular printer ink. He asked where he could have it printed, they suggested the internet cafe. So they went back to the internet cafe and had it printed, ran back to the photocopy shop and they copied 20 copies...they were missing page 9! So Brian went back to the internet cafe, printed page 9 and returned. All done! 10 minutes before they were done I texted him, "It doesn't need to be perfect, just good enough." He sighed.

2. Seating arrangements - I printed out the names of guests per table onto a gold metallic paper. I was going to cut that and paste it onto a burgundy card stock. Brian took that task too while doing the photocopying. He asked if the photocopy place could cut and paste the seating arrangements. They said they couldn't do it - Brian said, "If I bought you all coffee, could you do it for me?" They agreed and cut the paper to size, but gave the papers back to Brian for pasting. With double-sided tape, Rob and Brian put them all together beautifully.

3. Table numbers - For the table numbers I wanted to use family pictures that we've accumulated over 5 years to be on tables with the number embossed or printed on it. Brian also took this task. He took the original pictures and had it scanned into a disk - it took 3 hours to scan 20 pictures. When it was done, he brought it home and worked on it on his laptop using Photoshop, which took him about 30 minutes. He went out again this time to have it printed - by the time it was done, it was the end of the 3rd day and time to go to Edsa Shangri-la to check in and go to the rehearsal dinner. (Barong fittings were somewhere in between)

Still, despite all that work, when he walked into the church and reception he told me he realized, he had done nothing at all in comparison to what I had accomplished. I thought he was the greatest person on the planet for taking care of those things that I couldn't do anymore, and he thought I was the most amazing person for being able to create a perfect evening from 14000 miles away. =)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home